Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Times are hard enough with criminals poaching your work!

Yeah, poaching!
There is a new scam running around and it just makes me sick. They are preying on young writers and that's the worst kind of low!

It's so difficult to get ahead in this business, yet some people (and I use the term loosely) feel they need to maker it harder for everyone.

Here's how it works...
They place an add of Craigslist or Kijiji or some such advertising board calling for resumes and sample submissions for articles. They then turn around and sell those articles to reputable companies, keeping the profits for themselves.

I know it's posted everywhere on the net but I have to say it again: RESEARCH! always check out the company that you are submitting to before sending your work. It takes only a few minutes to see if somebody is a legitimate company, so Google them!

If they are legit, they will have loads of information on the submission process and will not ask for a resume. Be wary of any adds on public boards, especially if they don't use industry terminology, like bio, synopsis, etc...

If you have a doubt, you're probably safer not submitting, but you could always ask my opinion, I'd be happy to refer you to a few good publishers who a accepting unsolicited manuscripts or Query letters. Send me a message and I'll give you my list.

No comments:

Free Advertising